Esteban Gutierrez will join the FIA Formula E Championship and make the transition to the all-electric racing series for a number of select events for the remainder of the season, including the Mexico City ePrix on April 1.
The 25-year-old Mexican star – who has previously raced in Formula 1 and GP2 – will get behind the wheel of a fully-electric car in front of his home fans for the second running of the Mexico City ePrix at Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez, and the inaugural New York City ePrix in July.
Gutierrez joins the series as an official ambassador. He is talking to a number of teams, analysing potential options for a full entry for the 2017/18 season.
The announcement was at Patio Virreinal del Antiguo Palacio del Ayuntamiento. Among the guests were a selection of media, local dignitaries, Alejandro Agag and Miguel Angel Mancera, Mayor of Mexico City.
Esteban Gutierrez joins the series as an official ambassador and is in advanced discussions with a number of teams
Alejandro Agag, Founder & CEO of Formula E, said: “I’ve known Esteban since very early on in his career. He’s a great driver. I’ve seen him in GP3, GP2 and Formula 1 obviously. He is a great addition to the championship. I think this could be the start of a very long and successful career in Formula E.”
Esteban Gutierrez, speaking at the press conference today, said: “Well I’m very happy to be here and to finally make the announcement of my future plans. I feel very grateful to Alejandro and Alberto, which we’ve both known each other for a very long time and now we can work together in this new path.”
He added: “I’ve been always watching and following Formula E, because of my relationship with Alejandro. I have always been following his projects and Formula E being one of them. Electric cars are the future of mobility in the cities. It is a very interesting way of how the innovation is being pushed through the category.”
— FIA Formula E (@FIAformulaE) 9 January 2017