Five-time rally world champion Ogier says he will keep racing once his time in the World Rally Championship comes to an end, setting his sights on a future entry to the 24 Hours of Le Mans.
Ogier clinched his fifth consecutive WRC title in 2017 after switching to the Ford-backed M-Sport team. But he has made no secret of his interests in racing outside of rallying.
The Frenchman tested a Red Bull Formula 1 car earlier this year in Austria, and has previously appeared in two Porsche Supercup races.
Speaking at the FIA Prize Giving in Paris on Friday, Ogier confirmed he will look to continue racing once his time in the WRC is over, naming Le Mans as an event he is eager to enter.
“I’m sure I’ll be finding some other option, because staying home when you’re 33, it’s a bit too early I think. I get bored very quickly,” Ogier said.
“I’m sure there will be other kind of racing for me. Right now I’m focusing on WRC because it’s already an intense championship. And I want to spend some time as well at home and take some care of my family too.”
“But in the future, when I stop WRC, I’ll try something else for sure. I want to do Le Mans one day, that’s clearly something I want to do. But there might be also other things.”
Ogier hinted earlier this year he could retire from the WRC. If he could not find a suitable option for 2018. He ultimately re-signing with M-Sport for another season. While confirming retirement had been a consideration, Ogier stressed he was pleased to still be racing in the championship.
“We’ve been in the championship now quite some years. It’s definitely taking a lot of energy to be there and to be there at the top,” Ogier said.
“I wanted I think always to continue. But I was also clear that if I did not have the right option and the right package to continue in a good condition. Then I could have changed to do something else. I’m glad we found an option so that we can carry on.”